Thursday, May 19, 2005

The invisible parish and the small picture

The parish I serve is much bigger than I first thought. We have under 40 show up for worship on a normal Sunday . Yet during the week I find myself loving and ministering to faces that never have and probably never will show up for a Sunday Mass. This is nothing new, it's been happening since I've been in ministry. It's seems where ever I go, God gives me people to love and minister to. About a year ago I was crying out to the Lord and lamenting the fact that I had ministered to a dozen people that day yet none were in the church and would probably never come. The Lord answered me very simply "but they were blessed today" then he asked me a question-"Where is the parish you serve?" Immediately I saw in my mind a aerial view of of the building we use - then I heard a loud "that's not the parish I gave you to serve " then in my mind I saw a slide show of the aerial view getting larger with every click until I was looking at the whole planet from space.
I understand what God was telling me, unfortunately as a human I find comfort in the small picture. How nice it would be to have a parish of 300 to 500 and just serve those souls. I thought that my parish was comprised of those who show up on Sunday. Again, the small picture. My parish has no boundaries.
Why should I have ever thought my ministry should be any different than the Lord's. He ministered where ever he was. I always have too but always with I my eyes pointed back at the small picture hoping for the day when the parish will be large enough that I would just minister there . The outside stuff was supposed to be temporary. Well , it's been 7 years and what's gotten larger is my ministry to those outside the immediate parish. The people in my parish don't know this. I don't hide it from I just don't make it a big deal. I have been wrong. It's not just my ministry. Again I was holding on to a small picture. Now I have to share that with the folks that come on Sunday. I'm calling the greater community that we serve "The Invisible Parish ". This parish doesn't show up for the Eucharist on Sunday but need receive the "Body of Christ " during the week. But only if we take it to them!
Well , I've accepted the big picture now. Any ideas where I can get a frame for it ?
LIVE THE BIGGER STORY!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home