Thursday, December 15, 2005

"Jesus Thinks You're Cool"


Years ago I had a meeting with my spiritual directer (Canon Gary -only one n in this kind of canon). He asked what I wanted do in ministry . My reply was" I just wanna tell people that Jesus is cool". He smiled and counseled me for 20 minutes or so. At the end of our meeting he leaned in closer to me as he was sitting across the table, lowered his head, looked at me over the top of his glasses and said "Jesus thinks you're cool".
All my life I had felt like an egg that's just a little broken. You know, the one you look for when you're buying eggs that's causes you to put the whole carton back on the shelf . To this day I refuse to check the eggs I buy (I'm a weirdo). To hear someone say " Jesus thinks you're cool" was like the Tylenol that all those ancient hurts within me needed. YET PART OF ME WOULDN'T HAVE IT. I am not cool. I am not smart. I am not much good at all. These old scripts tried to choke out this new thing . But then Canon Gary said "will to believe it".
How can I believe that Jesus thinks I'm cool when I'm sooooo LAME!. Well I started thinking - Hey, the bible says that Jesus healed the lame. I'm pretty lame, maybe he healed me when I wasn't lookin'- I still look the same - still cracked - but I am different. I belong to him and that's cool all by it's self. I believe it now - I m at least spiritually cool- but my daughters still hide there faces when I pick them up from the mall.
I tell this story cuz lately there has been an epidemic of self loathing amongst the people whom I love. I f you are reading this and you are one of them - (excuse me as as lean forward, lower my head and peer over my glasses {in reality they're lost right now}). Now listen.
JESUS THINKS YOU'RE COOL! NOW WILL TO BELIEVE IT !
LIVE HIS PROMISES!

8 Comments:

Blogger glorygrl said...

yeah, teenage daughters are the best way to keep a man humble.

so does that shell=wineskins? that would mean you are coming out of your old shell, right? because otherwise you'd burst and that would messy (and your daughters would think that was uncool too).

3:43 PM  
Blogger joannmski said...

Thanks. I think Jesus is cool too. And I agree with Jesus, you are cool.

4:16 PM  
Blogger joannmski said...

So, does Carsten think that Jesus is right that Fr Husband is cool or Jesus is right that Carsten is cool?

6:05 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Hmm

10:33 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

By the way Snuffy, wasn't that a variation on a Top Gun line?

10:36 PM  
Blogger Sinnersaint said...

Wacko... cool... its a good mixture.

9:22 AM  
Blogger nomi said...

We don't ALWAYS hide our faces when you pick us up from the mall. Only when a cute boy is close by. Anyways. I love you very much and you not lame. -naomi.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Mabel said...

Jesus told me you'd be a lot cooler if you'd write more stuff on the blog.

1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home