Thursday, December 22, 2005

Scattered Pellets


A shotgun is my firearm of choice. Rifles are good for stationary targets at a long distance but not so good for small moving targets. A shotgun has many pellets as opposed to a rifle that only has one larger projectile. Having many projectiles increases that chance that you will hit the intended target.The shortcoming of the shotgun is that the energy from the shotgun shell from the time of firing is distributed among many projectiles thus decreasing the range. The short story on shotguns is that they aren't worth a hoot for long distance. The pellets from a shotgun will also spread out as they the travel and eventually the scattering of the pellets will be wide enough to allow an intended target to get away unscathed even though the shot was actually on target. One key to hitting the target is to fire while the target is in range.
Why am I spewing shotgun ballistics?
Well, I received a word today that my "Shot was scattered". This was regarding a specific decision that I have to make but I can apply this to other aspects of my life and ministry. Not in all cases but in some I am right on target but on others I'm out of range. I'M NOT GETTING CLOSE ENOUGH TO MY TARGET! OR PERHAPS NOT LETTING IT GET CLOSE ENOUGH TO ME ! HMMMMM
Jesus would have been a great shotgunner (my personal opinion). Jesus had a ministry of preaching, teaching and healing. He went out to the people and he allowed people to approach him. His ministry was always at close range. Of course He's God so is accuracy is greater than ours.
Peoples hearts and souls are our targets. The gospel, love and the gifts of the Holy Spirit are the pellets. So how do we get them in range? By following the example of our Lord. Go to them gently fire off a round of the gospel, love and the Holy Spirit. The love of Christ will often make people want the pellet to hit them. After the word gets out that a blast of the gospel will do great things, people will start coming in range on there own (conversions).
A weird analogy (all analogies have their limitations) but it works. More simply put "take to gospel to them, hand it to them, that's the best shot you have to have them receive it". Eventually people will come to you to have you hand it them because of your past accuracy with others.
Easily said - Now to actually do it. hmmm

2 Comments:

Blogger Sinnersaint said...

I'M NOT GETTING CLOSE ENOUGH TO MY TARGET!

That's a word that stings a bit, great analogy though.

In the field (not in the ministry) it could just be your a bad shot...

9:35 AM  
Blogger joannmski said...

I hope that we knock people over with the gospel. I like that.

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home