Wednesday, March 08, 2006

ESCEPOPO


You guys know that I like spicey food. But for the last year or so I 've been on a quest to find the best "ESCABECHE". Escabeche is pretty much any food item drowned in vinegar ,lemon juice or both. But for the purposes of this rant we will limit escabeche to mean chile peppers and other vegetables in vinegar and spices. I liken my quest to the one in that movie "Tampopo" which the characters were in search of the perfect bowl of ramen noodles.
Well after eating dozens of home made and store bought escabeche concoctions I have found the best . But that isn't enough for this humble servant of God . I must be able to imitate it. The restaurant that makes this close to divine mixture won't part with the recipe and I don't expect them to. So I go and visit this restaurant once a week to eat their authentic Mexican cuisine . You got it - I just happen to eat to pounds of the escabeche they have at the condiment station. I analyze every well chewed bite. And for over a year one thing eluded me. One spice that I couldn't identify by flavor. And they make it very hard to figure out what spices they use cuz some how they filter them out so there are no leaves or seeds to be seen. I think they are mean and do it on purpose so people can't copy their recipe. But yesterday as I finished my bean and guacamole burrito I helped myself to some free escabeche and after finishing the jalapeno I had discomfort in the gum above my left top canine. I pulled out the foreign object with my fingers. Never was I so pleased to have something caught between mt teeth . Yes! It was the elusive spice that up 'til this moment I couldn't put my finger on. GOD IS GOOD? Now I can reproduce the perfect escabeche.
Would you like to know what spice it is ? Please email your request to www.notachance.com

2 Comments:

Blogger joannmski said...

If they give away the food for free, why won't they give away the recipe? It would save them money if you made it yourself.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

cumin seed. Whatever it is, remind me to give you the spice house catalog. Great spices! They have everything, and it sounds like you need it.

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home