Wednesday, February 01, 2006

More on Pain

I once was chaplaining in a hospital a while ago and a nurse asked me to please see a certain patient because they crying and carrying on. The nurse looked as if she was gonna snap. I leaned in and whispered "do ya think it could be because she's sick and in the hospital?"The nurse softened, smiled, made the sign of the cross and said "bless me father for I have sinned " I hugged her and went in to see the patient.
This nurse is the only one that has a hard time dealing with other peoples pain. we all do that at times. Some more than others. It says in scripture that our Lord looked at the crowd and had compassion on them. He felt their pain. I have experienced that - It's hard! But on some level it is necessary for all of us to do so that we are truly imitating Christ as we ought to. It's scary to feel someone else's pain when we don't even want to feel our own. But we are "one body" and if one part hurts the whole body suffers. Be bold , allow yourself to get close enough to others to feel their pain then their joy.
Go Big

2 Comments:

Blogger joannmski said...

Oy, it's so hard.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Sinnersaint said...

Wonderful exchange between you and the nurse. She learned something very valuable in a simple question.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home