Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I want the best for you


"I want the best for you" I heard my parents say this all the time as I was growing up. I always thought they were lying. If they wanted the best for me why wouldn't they just let me have what I wanted. Well, because I wanted stupid things that could have harmed me.
I have been saying that phrase frequently lately. So I have had to check my motivation.
Do I really want what is best for the other person or do just want my will for their life? I am in authority in many peoples lives so I really have to look deep inside myself and answer it truthfully.
I have had to make decisions based on "wanting the best for someone" that were uncomfortable. Sometimes the best thing to do is to let someone take there own bad decision to the bitter end that you knew it would come to.
Should I ever say to you "I want the best for you " please know that I am sincere. But I am sinful man who knows his limitations. I can't create the best life for you. That's what Jesus came for. I will allow you to make all the mistakes you need to discover that Jesus is what is best for you. I love you that much.
Probably the hardest thing I have to do as a priest is to see people that I love and want the best for is to watch them go through the worst times in their lives. Just imagine how our Lord feels.
I want the best for you.

1 Comments:

Blogger joannmski said...

I know you do. Thank you!

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home