Friday, August 11, 2006

So - About This Preaching to the T.V. Stuff



Theology is just not something found in seminaries and Sunday sermons. Everyone lives a Theology. One's understanding or misunderstanding of God comes forth in the life they live and the products of the individuals life.

So , say an individual who writes for television is a Church going Christian that puts God first then others then himself , his theology will no doubt ooze out of his writing. The like will happen if be that writer happens to an active homosexual raised in the church and feels alienated and angry towards God and his church. That individuals' theology will no doubt come through his writing. There was a time when the morality of t.v. show was more closely monitored . This is no longer the case. Hollywood is saying that they are merely showing "Real Life" cuz this is what people really do. Not only do they show us all the sinful stuff that we do and would like to do but they mock the morality that was at least intellectually adhered to. My wife and others kid me for preaching at the T.V. when a character slam the God whom I serve or questions the validity of a Christian life or portray Christians as dangerous close minded people. God and Christians are about all that are safe now to be prejudiced against. Buddhists and wickans are OK even satanists are better than Christians or even God himself .

My big statement when confronted with my insanity of preaching to the T.V. is ...

THEY PREACHED FIRST . And believe me they are preaching. I believe some of it isn't so innocent but part of an agenda (Like that flood of gay character and themed shows ) Others just belligerently preach a flawed theology that God is a big meany cuz he won't let them play in the mud. Truth is they can play in the mud if they choose to do so - but it seems they what to pull others in with them.

God can stick up for him self but perhaps Christians should reject shows that undermine basic christian beliefs. I know how hard this is to do. The shows are entertaining and enticing on many levels. But when will Christians (I'm including myself ) avoid that which hammers at the fiber of who we are in Christ. One might say " hey that show isn't telling me what to do - it just a funny show that's kinda edgy". Unfortunately a part of the church is latching on to the morals portrayed in sitcoms more so than what is shown to us in scripture (this really is true ).

My daughter is watching a show right NOW that is presenting as normal a sexual relationship outside of wedlock between a single Rabbi and a young woman. My daughter thought that Jews allowed this kinda thing with no stigma. Again I say " they preached first". Yes, holy guys of all flavors do crappy stuff but it ain't supposed to be received as normal and right just because " People do this stuff ". This is mild compared to the portrayal of many of the christian characters in sitcoms. Harmless ribbing? I do think it's funny - I laugh - but maybe I should be crying.

I say they make a "Kimba the White Lion " channel - all Kimba all the time. No fornication, no church slamming there. Of course there is the question of what really happened to Kimba's dad. Oh well

Just blowing off steam.

Go Big! " CLICK"

3 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

This is why the only TV I watch is one show. There is nothing good on. Our TV is on, but only for Little Einsteins, Spongebob Squarepants, etc. Go ahead and preach to it. Or, better yet, I agree with Snuffy, don't watch the shows that have topics or people that you disagree with. When I was a kid, my mom wouldn't let us watch shows like "Bewitched". We would sneak, but we knew how she felt and why. It is important to be a good role model. And kids need to know what their boundaries are.

If I had my way, we wouldn't have the TV hooked up to the satellite dish at all. Just some videos once in a while.

8:34 AM  
Blogger joannmski said...

I love TV too much to comment.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Better not say something that makes Mrs. Priest angry, she calls people names.

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home