Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Craziest Little Things Make Us Who We Are

I was thinking yesterday (I've been told not to do that) about teeny tiny events in my life that have formed me. Here's a list small events - I'll explain them after.
1. Fell down while running a foot race when I was 6.
2. Bought a magic trick called snapper when I was 7.
3. Sat next to Danny at my First Holy Communion.
4. Saw some kids beat up a retarded boy when I was 8.
5. Beat up by some native American boys when I was ten.
6. Against my better judgement enrolled in Public Speaking class in my senior year of High School.
7. Took a burrito to a young man that had just been diagnosed with MS.
8. I saw my father cry for the first time when I was 42.

The explanations.
1. I tried my best to win and failed (I knew I would have lost even if I hadn't fallen)- I equated trying with failure - I battled that misunderstanding for years.
2. That childhood passion of magic would later pay for my seminary education.
3. Danny wasn't into the Jesus thing at 7 - I was . Danny's attitude made me burn with passion for Jesus- I'm a priest now -
4.I watched as older kids beat up that boy - I did nothing - that was the last time I did nothing when an innocent was being hurt- this is also this reason I bring the Eucharistic service to LARC Ranch every month.
5 I was spending the summer with my Grandparents . While attending a rodeo I was jumped by some boys from the Lakota Sioux Nation. They called me "white man" as they beat me. I couldn't make words as they shed my Mexican Indian blood that comes from my mother. Bigotry begets bigotry. I swore to love everybody even the kids who beat the crud out of me.
6. That Public Speaking class is where I met my wife Joann- married for 20 years now. That class was a good choice.
7. So this arrogant 20 something guy gets diagnosed with a crippling illness. Everybody needs to eat so I take him a burrito. That was about 6 years ago. Not only is that young man not so arrogant but he has become one the best men I have ever known in my life. MS doesn't have him Jesus does. He is a blessing. Burritos are good.
8. The strongest person I know wept because he couldn't help his wife. I know now just how tender real strength is.

Those little things in are lives are not so little. Please share some of your little events with me.
Go Big

1 Comments:

Blogger T. Coleen said...

I have a poster from my 20’s that is so worn and creased it looks like old fabric. It states: “Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.” It’s my favorite. So is #7. I’ve seen him in action. Such strength. (And an absolutely off the wall killer sense of humor!)

5:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home