Friday, February 16, 2007

Sprained ankle, Prayer and Sense of Humor


I sprained my stinkin ankle yesterday. I wish that could say that I did it mountain biking or chasing a pheasant with my dogs or even just jogging but I can't. I sprained it walking with my son Luke at Walmart. I was turning into an aisle and somehow I managed to turn my ankle . Arrrrrrrrg. It (my ankle) didn't even have the decency to hurt right away so that I might know that I was injured. It didn't hurt til about 2 hrs later. By 4 o'clock I wanted Jesus to take me (no really - it hurt like anything - and I can take a good amount of pain). Not that I'm someone who wants the world to feel sorry for me every time I bump my knee but it's a nice thing when a person's family in concerned about them. My second eldest daughter was the only one that could give me some type first aid. I don't want to say that she was reluctant but she fluctuated between non interest and finding my pain very amusing. After she had her fun deriding me for requesting the first aid kit that is for the dogs (I have accident prone dogs - OK). the dogs' first aid kit has stuff in it that is more useful for more sports like injuries than the household cut and scrape kit. Anyway, Daughter #2 is more laughing than comforting as she Ace bandages an ice pack to my ankle. After her art project on my ankle I asked that she would lay hands and pray for the injured ankle. She did so with no fuss but I 'm pretty sure that I heard her pray "Lord help Daddy stop being a baby". I wasn't sure so I let it go. Immediately I felt relief. Although still had to hobble around. Luke laughed every time he would see me limp. I mean he laughed to the point he had tears in his eyes. I asked him why he thought it was so funny but he was laughing so hard he couldn't make words.
When my youngest daughter (3yrs) arrived home from daycare I asked that she would pray for my ankle (she didn't really know that body part). One of the siblings made a crack that the only prayer she knows is the blessing for the food. She was offended but did a good job ignoring them as she began to pray very dramatically for my ankle.
I woke this morning and it was obvious that my ankle was still injured but not much pain to speak of. God is good -
I have to say that yesterday's injury was the most fun I've had in few weeks. The Lord really has gifted me with some special, funny kids.
Witness for Christ in all that you do!

3 Comments:

Blogger joannmski said...

This is going to be a lot of fun. We'll get to put things just out of your reach, ask you to fetch things from the other room, drop beans on your ace bandage, etc. Woo hoo!

1:07 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I once tore a ligament in my knee. Not skiing or playing tennis or something cool. I was sitting on the edge of the bed at 4am, getting ready to go on a family trip to the beach for two weeks. I stood up and it snapped. Bogus. Two weeks in the camper. I never even saw the beach. I may be the only one with sympathy for you. I feel your pain, Father.

You can laugh at your family later. Mine didn't sympathize either. Try using a porta-potty in a camper that is so small you can barely sit in there with the door closed NORMALLY and try to get in there with your leg in a full length brace. Yeah. Nice. I still can't laugh about it. It sucked. They were all mad at me because I ruined the vacation.

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

long time reader, first time commenting.

My wife got me hooked on your blog and being in the ministry myself, I have been encouraged with your words.

As for the ankle, I am glad that I am not the only one who can make even the simplest tasks very very difficult. It just proves that a family that prays together, stays together. And a family that walks together in Wal-Mart, has to pray together. Thanks for the witness.

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home