Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Got communion? NOT


OK, so I am a traditionalist, but I'm not staunchy. Yet this picture gets under my skin. I don't believe in women priests because of scripture and tradition. But this picture speaks to something more problematic. At what point does our need to make things comfortable and appealing drive us toward a profane path? Shouldn't the sacraments be treated as precious and sacred? To attempt to celebrate the Eucharist atop an object of human recreation (surfboard) would never cross my mind and pains me to think about. And it's not because I'm a traditionalist. The symbolism itself is ridiculous. We celebrate the Eucharist to conform our selves to Jesus Christ. But this picture tells a story of trying to mold Jesus Christ to our liking. That's my opinion yours may vary but I hope not. I know that mass has been celebrated on rocks and from the backs of jeeps and Hummers but out of necessity not for the pleasure of it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Father Rich said...

It's not just the surfboard.But I can see how it seems that I am emphasizing the surfboard thing . But really it's the whole enchilada. Homosexuality is part of that make Jesus in to what ever you want thing.
Charley be honest - You think the print clergy shirts are cool don't you ?

7:52 AM  
Blogger Sinnersaint said...

There are so many things wrong with this image... is that a trash can under the sacred surfboard of Jesus?

1:52 PM  
Blogger Sugar said...

Awwww, well like you said you're entitled to your opinion. We used to visit a church in New Smryna Beach, Florida called St. Peter's Episcopal Church. That church got it's start just like in that picture. Our son was baptised in their church (bldg.) at the baptismal font using a beautiful conch shell to pour the water.

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home