Thursday, September 15, 2005

The Platypus Theology: part 1 of many


Most people look at the Platypus and scratch their head. They find them amusing but wonder "what was God thinking ?". I look at the platypus and see multiple theology lessons.
1. God can do anything He wants and He often does.
Some people have called the Platypus "the spare parts creature". That kind of thinking doesn't grasp the fact that God is all powerful. He can't run out of parts. He would just make some more. God made the platypus just as he wanted. No mistakes no spare parts. As a person who grew up with a learning disability the Platypus Theology is very comforting. Growing up I felt different,dumb and as if I was one of Gods mistakes. The Platypus Theology says "God makes no mistakes. The psalmist says "I am fearfully and wonderfully made". If he made no mistakes when He made the platypus than I'm sure he made no mistakes when He made me. Back to the fearfully and wonderfully made thing . I want to give the reader a slightly different way to look that verse. Years ago I set a diamond that was up around the 6 carat range. When I was almost finished I was suddenly overwhelmed by the beauty and value of the stone that my hands began to tremble. Next time you read "I am fearfully and wonderfully made" picture God forming you in his hands and his hands are trembling as you are being made. He trembles because he is taken with love for the beautiful creation wrought by his own hands. I no longer ask why God made the platypus the way he did and I no longer ask God why He made me so flawed . The Platypus and I aren't that different. Although we are of different species, my children didn't hatch from eggs and they swim better than me. Okay we're not anything alike. But you know what I'm getting at. God does as he likes for his own reasons. We can't began to comprehend the mind of God. But know this: God so loved the world (his creatures) that he sent his only begotten son. And it wasn't because He made a mistake. It was because we make mistakes. We see flaws and God sees His beloved creation. The platypus can teach us a great deal. More later.

Go Big - Platypus style (fearfully and wonderfully)

1 Comments:

Blogger joannmski said...

The thought of us being fearfully and wonderfully made is very touching. I think He made me a housekeeping challenged platypus.

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home