Monday, October 10, 2005

That's another reason I do not like Seneca


I mostly typed that title for the benefit of one reader. Seneca is Okay. His words are good. I know a little about Seneca. And he like most Philosophers (and humans in general) couldn't really keep up with the virtue they preach. He was a stoic meaning he lived a meager life or so he should have according to his discipline. The reason I speak of Seneca at all is not to beat up on him. Lord knows I am hardly an Eloquent Man and the Senecas word have awesome wisdom. What brings me to talk about him is that I understand the pressure and scrutiny (at least to some small degree) that people like Seneca that attempt to urge humans to better than they , to strive for integrity and love virtue. Seneca preached simplicity yet acquired great wealth. We are all Hypocrites. That's why we need a savior. As for Seneca. Greats words. He had lots of them. But I like Paul better. He admitted his frailty and gave Jesus the glory. I like that. In a way he did lead a stoic life perhaps just a bit better than Seneca.
(The above was written weeks ago but not published 'til now)

3 Comments:

Blogger joannmski said...

That is very interesting. I didn't know he accumulated wealth. He was not an attractive man, either.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Sinnersaint said...

Was there a record time set in brother Carsten defending Seneca? Now He's just going to dig deeper into a two month Senecafest!

5:11 PM  
Blogger Father Rich said...

Cody . why do encourage him? WHY?

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home