Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Quail in the road or was that me ?



Many of you know that the Valley Quail has a special place in my heart - and my tummy. It's a strange thing to most people that the bird that I love to hunt the most is the bird I am most protective of. I do go a little nuts when people over hunt or ruin habitat. I think the Valley Quail is one of the most beautiful birds God has created.

Yesterday I was driving up the hill on the main road where I live and I saw something odd in the middle of the road. This is a major road with two lanes on either side and a divider as wide as lane in the middle. And there was a beautiful male Valley Quail standing still in the middle of the road. He looked stunned. There is a covey of Quail that lives around there and they often cross the road. He might have flown into the side of a moving car as getting hit head on normally means death. I quickly turned around and went into the divider and parked the Jeep a safe distance away from the bird. I put my hazard lights on and slowly walked toward the bird. I was afraid that he might freak out and run and get killed (I would have felt so guilty) but he remained still. It was obvious that he was frightened to paralysis. BUT HE WAS STILL STANDING ! Looking as strong as he could muster. He allowed me to pick him up with no fight. We got in the car and I prayed that he wouldn't escape my grasp and start flying around. He remained still in my hand as I drove using the other to steer. It was only a couple hundred yards to the field where I know the covey lives . I set him down in the field. He looked a bit less tense than before but he remained motionless as I left him there. I prayed that he would recover and drove away. I hope he makes it.

Wow! What a weird thing to have happen with the way I was feeling yesterday. I felt stunned right in the middle of the road. I welcome God's hands to put me where I need to be. Whether I move or not when he places me there is really my choice. Being where you belong can be as scary as being in the middle of the road. I CHOOSE TO MOVE !

GO BIG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home