Tuesday, September 11, 2007

STAR WARS



My six year old son Luke recently discovered STAR WARS. I saw it in the theater over thirty years ago. Never saw the big deal. I do like the Darth Vader character though. They did a great job developing his depth. He was good then he was bad then he was good again. I identify with folks with a past and have a history of giving in to the dark side.





Some folks in Christendom like everything squeaky clean and have no tolerance for the slightest appearance of evil. There is a scripture that is often abused that speaks to the avoidance of the appearance of evil. But Jesus puts that in tension (not contradiction) as he broke bread with hookers, liars and ne'r do wells. Everyone is redeemable! PRAISE GOD!





Some similarities between me and Darth Vader.




liking shiny things (him the light saber -me, well --- anything shiny)

loud irritating voice.

married childhood sweetheart.

mentored by a short bald guy (for me it was my dad for him Yoda)

black is the primary color of wardrobe.

easily frustrated.

have a son named Luke.

believe in a force greater than ourself.


Go Big Or Go Home!

2 Comments:

Blogger joannmski said...

-Have a bunch of guys in white doing things for you (altar servers/storm troopers)

4:26 PM  
Blogger mmichele said...

i'm so glad you relate to darth vader and not chewbacca. i would have to worry about joann if you related to chewy.

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home