Friday, October 14, 2005

Hunting with dogs


I now have two hunting dogs. Kimo has been around since he was 4 mos and Chick who has been with us a couple of weeks. Kimo is hyper and clumsy. He is constantly breaking things and hurting people. Chic is a delight and everyone loves her. I love her at home but not in the field. She has behavior issues. The basic partnership between hunter and dog is simple. It's a symbiotic relationship. The dog and hunter work together for the common goal of bagging game. Chic never received that memo. She gets lost, won't come when called, eats the bird and just generally a pain. Kimo on the other is beautiful to watch. He is athletic and has rippling muscles. He pays attention me for the most of the time. He has the occasional mishap but there has been many a time when Kimo does his job perfectly and I fail to put the bird down. I once missed the same bird after Kimo had pointed three different occasions. The last time he very slowly sat down and looked at me as if to say "I'm done - you need to get the magic boom boom stick fixed - it's broken" But none the less Kimo hunts with me. Chic hunts for herself. There is no partnership there.
I have similar relationships with people. There are those whom I love and love me but we really don't work well together. It's not all their fault either. We unfortunately don't share a common goal. Sometimes we say our goal is common but the truth is that very often the goal is to things the way we find most comfortable for ourselves personally and the stated goal is secondary. Not a good thing when the stated goal is Serving Jesus Christ and spreading His gospel .
As I was working with the dogs I was embarrassed to find similarities in myself and Chic. But I am aware of it and that is the first step toward change. In truth is I work with people pretty well but I tend to get nuts when people have to do things a certain way and are immovable. Guess what? Then I become the BIGGEST rock they have ever seen or dealt with. At that point I'm no better than them, even worse I think.
We need to conform to each other in the body of Christ. Truly working together for the goal of spreading the Gospel. Not easy but very possible. Everyone has to die to self. As long as one person has some personal or emotional stake in what ever is being done then you have a "Chic" situation. I never thought I'd ever say this but "let's all be like Kimo and not Chic"
So much for dog analogies.
GO BIG

1 Comments:

Blogger joannmski said...

Well, I am mostly Kimo-ish but if this means I'll have to pay bills, be organized or clean house to work well with the body of Christ, I might spend a little time in Chicktown.

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home